11th/09/2007: Added Nine Horses' Money for All.
- Cleaned up any semantic XHTML issues posed by the news page; Minor changes to the site CSS.
- XHTML validates again after several months.
- Attempted to discover badly formatted lines and typos - especially from Japan lyrics.
- If you notice any spelling errors or have suggestions, please do let me know at japan_at_slowdays_dot_org
- Nearly a year without updates to Ain't That Peculiar...
- I was very lucky to attend the first date of The World Is Everything tour at the China Theatre in Stockholm, more on that at my personal blog. This may or may not have something to do with the recent additions :)
- Two new songs, The World Is Everything and Sleepwalkers from The World Is Everything Tour Sampler.
- World Citizen (2003) added; I voted against its addition back when it was released because David was so kind as to post the lyrics on his official site, but since the five versions on the CD differ rather greatly from each other I thought I would do it for the sake of completism.
24th/08/2006: Corrected Adolescent Sex; My sincerest apologies for the quality of some of the lyrics currently on this site. I will go through all the transcriptions in the near future and attempt to correct evident mistakes and glaring chorus omissions in the lyrics.
24th/08/2006: Code restruction completed, newly added portions/menu system are XHTML1.0 strict. Eventually the whole page will be. Added Brilliant Trees - it's also what I consider the last missing album in the primary timeline.
24th/08/2006: Added some site info and news. Restructuring code.
- Rewrote the page showing system & added Nine Horses' Wonderful World single lyrics - I claim it to be a 1st on the net; no search returned a transcript. Also added a search bar.
- Site validation breaks due to new page system and menu listing. Fixes pending.
22nd/08/2006: Added a background image array based on band.
18th/08/2006: Generated new versions of Blemish and Dead Bees on a Cake.
18th/08/2006: Rebuilt the generator's functions. Two bugs fixed. Added Assemblage and Oil on Canvas lyrics.
- Website validates for XHTML 4.01 strict. The conversion to XHTML was, in other words, succesful.
Also finally fixed the IE CSS-inline -tag error.
- I've also been honing the output script, and the source code the script produces is now much cleaner.
- I was finally able to acquire an IE fixed fix (pun anyone?) that is functional enough to use on the site and still allowing proper validation. As I finally overcame the number one obstacle I had in maintaining this site properly, I felt it was time to fix the 350+ validation errors caused by br-tags not in p-tags inside blockquotes.
- As these (and a number of other lesser things) were taken care of, the page validates in 4.01 strict for the front page, and as soon as I modify my generator to output stuff in a certain way, this will apply to the rest of the lyrics pages.
- In addition, I managed to make a PHP script that randomizes the background image from a set array (pictures of David, Mick and the band are in the rotation at the moment).
14th-15th/08/2006: Although I have really no knowledge of PHP, I managed to scrape together a HTML formatting/output generator and it is, well, "working".
- Inserting lyrics into the html formatting by hand is too time-consuming and eventually site goes into limbo.
- Put together a preliminary incarnation - a test if you will - that looks much like the original, just tremendously marred with bugs: Firefox has a lag issue with fixed elements, IE doesn't display them at all. IE displays block elements wrong.
Sometime in 2005: Searching for Japan/David Sylvian lyrics is irritating - certain songs are hard to find. Decide to put together a site that validates properly and is semantically correct and search engine friendly.
- Browse between artists by clicking on the appropriate logo. This will be illustrated by a tooltip when you first visit.
- After choosing the right artist, choose the appropriate album.
- Hover over the album to get the tracklist and then click on the song you want to find.
- If you don't know the artist, the album (or the song, for that matter) you are looking for, please use the search!
- Using the newest version of Firefox or Opera is recommended.
- Neither the BMG/Virgin reissues of Japan records, Virgin reissues of David Sylvian records nor SamadhiSound releases contain transcribed lyrics. None of the record companies' sites offer these lyrics or books that contain these lyrics.
- Most song lyric databases online contain spyware/bogus advertisements or are just illegal.
- While the lyrics are reprinted here without permission and thus technically illegally, we are not attempting to make money or harm Virgin/Sony BMG/SamadhiSound business by representing the art on this site
- These texts are online because they are otherwise unattainable. We are also not claiming to own any of the intellectual property on display!
- All lyrics are written by David Sylvian, the publishing rights belong to their respective owners (mostly OpiumArts).
- Various logography/album art is copyrighted by Virgin, SonyBMG and SamadhiSound respectively, and is only used to illustrate distinctions between different artists and bands.
- Most of the Nine Horses / David Sylvian photographs has been taken by Kevin Westenberg.
- IE 6.0 hover fix: Peter Nederlof
- Transcription help: Kakaists
- Found an error in the transcriptions? Complaints? Ideas? Please send all that Jazz to japan_at_slowdays_dot_org (replace _at_ with "@" and _dot_ with ".").
- If you want to link to this page, you can use this link button: