Kaka Holiday Banners

Site backdrop/framework-related discussion & hosted site support

Moderator: Smeagol

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Kaka Holiday Banners

Postby Mortis » Sat Sep 01, 2007 21:17

I've thought of this every now and then and now that nobile suggested it too, I think we should go forward with it.

Would anyone like to help me out with creating a set of festive versions of the Hail Kaka logo at Slowdays? This one:

We can make a script that will automatically change the image per date. Wouldn't that be a lot of fun? I'm not talking just Digimon Days, Kakantine's Day or Raxmas - I'm talking about the smaller holidays too, like International Sex Day. I'll be glad to accept different versions, too. You can use that image as a base, though there are other versions of Hail Kaka! at http://www.slowdays.org/kaka/Hail_Kaka

Smeagol
Kakaist
Kakaist

Re: Kaka Holiday Banners

Postby Smeagol » Sat Sep 01, 2007 21:30

Great idea! We must cover all the holidays listed in the wiki atleast
He's not heavy, he's my brother.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Mon Sep 03, 2007 18:46

It looks like it's ok for you guys to utilize some more width if necessary, it may be hard to fit certain things into the current format. Here I changed the picture width from 122 to 152. The height must be what it is right now, though.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Tue Sep 04, 2007 16:41

Okay, here's today's titles:

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Tue Sep 04, 2007 17:23

Feel free to introduce your own versions! I am going to be making these every now and then 'till all bases have been covered, but I wouldn't mind if someone else gave a go :) Using images from the web (especially made for linking purposes) is fine - I've done that here - and even images that would seem to fall under copyright are pretty much covered by the United States "fair use" policy.

Of course it'll be more fun if we can devise a full set of original images!

Smeagol, could you tinker for me a little date-based image chooser php script that could be included on the main page? We should probably discuss what is the most efficient way (parsing date in filename or adding dates to a flat file etc etc).

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Tue Sep 04, 2007 23:26

Ok, here's one more:

I don't think you can really tell it's Universal Day of the Jedi tho :| The font is not distinctive enough. Maybe we can fix this later?

Armand
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Armand » Sun Sep 09, 2007 09:44

Took half a second to figure that one out, it's a bit borderline when it comes to recognition... maybe add a lightsaber in the middle, or a picture of a hooded jedi? Making a silhouette picture of a photo of any robed jedi wielding a lightsaber would look cool, be easy and the copyright of the photo would no longer be an issue :D

(And no, I really am not skilled in these things, doubt I can offer any more than stylistic help (and the quality of even that is questionable))

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Sun Sep 09, 2007 13:45

I think the font is the main thing, but of course without the letters "S" and "R" it's hard to recreate the SW look and feel. Are there any iconic SW logos you think could be used?

Smeagol
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Smeagol » Sun Sep 09, 2007 15:04

I had some downloaded font, dunno if it is any better though.
He's not heavy, he's my brother.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Sun Sep 09, 2007 16:07

That looks -way- better! Maybe the "K"s and "A"s could be combined by hand, too?

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Mon Sep 10, 2007 13:36

If anyone wants to turn in more holidays it would be great! Smeagol wrote an administration script yesterday and banners can already be added to the site.

This reminds me, Software Freedom Day is coming soon so I must add that once I get home :D

Return to “Slowdev”