SD Blogs/SDFN

Site backdrop/framework-related discussion & hosted site support

Moderator: Smeagol

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

SD Blogs/SDFN

Postby Mortis » Tue Nov 28, 2006 00:57

Heya pals! We haven't used the forum for a good while, but... I've been talking with vrap about running a blog (he runs a really fun one at http://nebulousmaterial.blogspot.com/) and I've been trying out different variations of WordPress and its plugins only to become slightly disassociated and disillusioned with the administration and templating issues.

At first I was contemplating sharing several blogs with other authors to keep the blogs personal enough, all the while having a "general" blog that contains the actual "FastNews" service blogs - whatever that is.

What I'm saying is that the blog system Smeagol wrote originally for us is really pretty damn snazzy. It's simple and very down-to-earth. I really do like it a lot compared to the hell-hole messes that are other blog systems, though naturally it took me a while to once again realize that bigger is worse when it comes to administration.

It does, however, lack certain features that we might expect, namely, smart urls (piece of cake, even I've done that),
trackback/pingback,
categories (tags if you will) and
a wysiwyg system.

I'd also imagine it would be easy to make it so that you could set posts as "private", i.e., a category for posts that you want to keep only to your user page.

We could also perhaps integrate the files system over so you can easily add images and such.

Are you guys still in if we try something like this? I haven't asked - in a while - if you guys would still blog with me in case we get something like this going ^_^

Links for development:
OS trackback: http://phptrackback.sourceforge.net/

TinyMCE
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tinymce/
http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/

FCKEditor
http://www.fckeditor.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fckeditor/

General list of WYSIWYG editors
http://geniisoft.com/showcase.nsf/WebEditors

Armand
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Armand » Tue Nov 28, 2006 22:20

Yeah, not a day goes by that I don't silently sigh wondering where you tread~ Rolling Eyes

mushy

Postby mushy » Wed Nov 29, 2006 01:19

no can do.. getting rid of irc is the first step to me pawning the computer and being free of this kinda crap. i wont let anything stand in the way of what i want. and besides so much as changed since i stopped coming that i really see no reason why i would want to come back.
kakakaka

Armand
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Armand » Wed Nov 29, 2006 01:52

what do you want

mushy

Postby mushy » Wed Nov 29, 2006 18:18

well.. in a way i dont want anything. while kaka has little to do with the overall cause i do see it as getting in the way with my goals. i want to be able to lose everything and not think twice about it. the hardest things for me to lose have been the computer and my memory box but im really working on it. in the past week i have lost/given up/had taken from and the old me would have been so angry for it. but i have been more relieved than ever to know its gone. i use to think everyone should share and i felt so much disapointment. i want to be able to give it all up and not expect a thing..

Armand
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Armand » Wed Nov 29, 2006 23:00

That actually sounds very good.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Thu Nov 30, 2006 17:23

I do believe it sounds dangerous when mush says it!

Armand
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Armand » Thu Nov 30, 2006 21:25

"Even so, let me not die ingloriously
without a fight, but in some great action
which those men yet to come will hear about."

-Hector (The Iliad, Book 22)

Armand
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Armand » Thu Nov 30, 2006 21:30

"Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless in facing them."

-Rabindranath Tagore

Armand
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Armand » Thu Nov 30, 2006 21:33

"Without the threat of death / there's no reason to live at all."

-Marilyn Manson

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Thu Nov 30, 2006 23:58

I hope that helps mush!

vrap
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby vrap » Fri Dec 01, 2006 02:20

I will blog if you make it! But I don't want to abandon the one I have at the moment Embarassed

Good luck with your endeavors, mush.
i'm having the most perfect hallucination

nobile
Kakaist
Kakaist
MySpace: www.myspace.com/nobile01

Postby nobile » Sat Dec 02, 2006 04:06

I'd blog too =)
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder <3

Armand
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Armand » Sat Dec 02, 2006 16:15

The current definitions for schizophrenia suck, some psychologists have just bundled together all kinds of things they cannot understand. There are other "issues" that have similar effects and are not really negative... except from a materialistic society's point of view. Mad

Armand
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Armand » Sat Dec 02, 2006 18:45

I think it all revolves around just one thing, a personal process and its culmination, but depending on your cultural, mental and religious contexts it manifests in so many different ways that from a normal point of view it all seems like separate things. Basically, it is an inner revolution that gives you the ability to understand and see clearly, to be free. You might want to check out what Kundalini means, although to you it might seem like crap mumbo jumbo (a lot of it seems like that to me at least) Razz I don't think labeling helps much though.
Basically what is to be done is become aware and accepting, ignore what you've been taught is true if it contradicts your observations and lose the tendency to divide and categorise and prioritise. See the reasons behind every word, action and happening, specifically your own thoughts and emotions. Take a critical approach to everything, but be ready to accept the truth. Never cease this process, and consider that changing yourself rapidly is better than becoming jaded with untruth. You'll begin seeing (I think you already might) things about the world that don't make sense in traditional ways of thinking. It is the real realism.
Damn, I sound fucked up~

vrap
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby vrap » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:07

No you don't! By the way, Mortis, Blogspot has apparently gone out of beta and I was checking out some of the features, and they mention that it's possible for multiple users to post to a single blog. If this crappy internet cafe computer permits I'll check and see how easy that is to set up.
i'm having the most perfect hallucination

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Tue Dec 26, 2006 21:32

That sounds pretty hot Very Happy

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Re: SD Blogs/SDFN

Postby Mortis » Fri Jul 20, 2007 01:37

Fast-forward six-seven months! How do you guys feel the blog aspect of the site has been as of late? :) It's clearly supplemental (and slightly overlaps) with the forums, but I'm personally of the opinion that we've done fairly well - what about you guys?

Smeagol
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Smeagol » Sat Jul 21, 2007 16:36

it's funking very well imo ^^ *biased*
He's not heavy, he's my brother.

Armand
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Armand » Sat Jul 21, 2007 17:22

Heh, I agree (with both of you). Even if it overlaps with the forums, it still retains its function pretty well, and in the practical sense specially it is very functional. Don't think there's anything to do about it for now, all that's left is for people to maybe ass to write a bit more (like myself 8))...

Return to “Slowdev”