Pine/Similar
25%

Total votes: 4

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

W32 E-mail Clients

Postby Mortis » Sat Oct 15, 2005 00:40

Wow. I didn't know all these existed, even.

Apart from Outlook, Thunderbird and Eudora, there's pretty many moderately formidable e-mail clients out there for Windows... ones that aren't screw-off-sharewares, either.

Mozilla Thunderbird
Qualcomm Eudora (Eudora Rescue)

Pegasus Mail
Sylpheed
Foxmail
Pocomail
i.Scribe/InScribe
Y.A.M.C.!
Popcorn
Columba

Just a few I've checked out now. I'm almost thinking of using either Pegasus or Sylpheed, but I'm still looking into these.

Here is an interesting article called Time to ditch Outlook? http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/softwar ... -10000017c
Last edited by Mortis on Sat Oct 15, 2005 13:31, edited 7 times in total.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Sat Oct 15, 2005 00:42

Foxmail and Pocomail are a bit too candy-coated for me. Not really digging that. A bit like Thunderbird, but even more flashy. I don't need to be handed out all the features in a snazzy form - I just want the barebones. Don't know about the rest of you.
Last edited by Mortis on Sat Oct 15, 2005 00:48, edited 2 times in total.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Sat Oct 15, 2005 00:46

Pegasus Mail reminds me of Forté Agent, a news reader, interface- and look-feel-wise. I used to read my newsgroups with Agent like five years ago when I was reading newsgroups.

It's not bad at all. Just not really "hip" as far as the graphics go. This guy is gonna install it: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1853482,00.asp

He also likes Evolution just like Rax does. Evolution is going to be ported onto W32 at some point, check Wikipedia for the news: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novell_Evolution
Last edited by Mortis on Sat Oct 15, 2005 01:01, edited 3 times in total.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Sat Oct 15, 2005 00:50

You all know Eudora at least by name. It is currently making me go through all this, and I still don't understand why. Despite the advertising gimmick I think it's the best one out there - by far, in fact. I've used it since day one, I sort of inherited it from my father. He's had it for his mail since it first came out.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Sat Oct 15, 2005 00:53

PhoenixMail, written in Delphi Rolling Eyes It wasn't as bad as I expected, in fact, it was okay - featureless, though - very bare, and had no importing features at all.
Columba, written in Java. This one is great.
Last edited by Mortis on Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:02, edited 2 times in total.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Sat Oct 15, 2005 01:16

Columba is very high in my books right now, it has the best set of importers I've seen, a very good layout, the only problem is that it has been written in Java.

Sylpheed is right behind, or both programs are largely similar. Very good. Very good.

Sylpheed's problems are in the realm of displaying HTML and... the way it displays e-mail is just a bit cranky. It has beautiful, fast framework, but the mail features itself are a bit behind. There is, however, a sister distribution of the program called Sylpheed-Claws that has more features.

Smeagol
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Smeagol » Sat Oct 15, 2005 15:40

OSX's Mail.app is quite good too, i haven't tried the newest though since i can't install Tiger ( Angry Evil )

Shame you couldn't test that Razz
He's not heavy, he's my brother.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Sat Oct 15, 2005 17:58

Haha, true. I didn't think of Macintosh here at all - I used Eudora on Macs too. Basically the Mac Eudora is an even more solid product than the PC version, though. They have so many years behind the product on that platform.

I checked a few more programs, but they weren't substantial enough to really mention. But I'm interested in hearing what people use right now, especially because I did go through the trouble of checking all these programs out.

Right now I would say Sylpheed was the best application - the lack of displaying html mails is the only drawback, a lot of mail I imported had just basically disappeared because of that. Columba and Foxmail are very much at the same fringes with Thunderbird, and I think that's very respectable.

Pegasus Mail is a question mark; it has great features but against the flashier products, I'm not sure how well it would do. It feels like a 16-bit application.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Tue Mar 14, 2006 13:12

Just to bump this thread now that we have an application suggestion thread too!

Return to “Geek Juice”