Something else, what?
20%

Total votes: 5

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

PDF Readers

Postby Mortis » Mon Oct 29, 2007 18:56

I'm beginning to feel a little futile - in search of the perfect answer to everything I keep making these posts asking and polling you for your experiences. Still, hopefully someone's found a program or two based on these threads. I really don't know if these are useful in any way.

Recently I've grown very tired of Foxit Reader; It's grown slower and slower with every release, pretty much nullifying any advantage they had before; Still no Firefox integration though it was promised years ago and their user interface has some weird ass features:
  • There are separate modes for zooming in and zooming out, triggered by Alt+4 and Alt+5 respectively. Why not one mode with an Alt trigger like in every other program? And there are two buttons for zooming in and out in the menu as well!
  • What they call "Bookmarks" is just a page list. Reading big articles is very difficult as the feature is very bouncy.

Sumatra on the other hand keeps crashing for me all the time.

What about you guys?
"...the public dissolves as fact and fiction blend, history becomes derealized by media into a happening, science takes its own models as the only accessible reality, cybernetics confronts us with the enigma of artificial intelligence, and technologies project our perceptions to the edge of the receding universe or into the ghostly interstices of matter." - Hassan, Ihab: "Toward a Concept of Postmodernism" (1987).

nobile
Kakaist
Kakaist
MySpace: www.myspace.com/nobile01

Re: PDF Readers

Postby nobile » Mon Oct 29, 2007 19:17

I use Acrobat Reader, but I'm not really happy with it, it's too big and takes ages to load all the time... I recently uninstalled it at home, in my desperation to get more disk space :P
Haven't found anything else, I thought about googling for some programs, but if you guys have better ideas, I'll take note :D
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder <3

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Mon Oct 29, 2007 20:13

I just installed the latest Adobe Reader out of curiosity; It opened fast but the page output is still awfully sluggish. I enable 2D acceleration but it had very little effect.

SumatraPDF and Foxit Reader are the only real alternatives right now as far as I see it, you should give a try with both, really, as they require no installation.

I'll have to test the Firefox plugin of Adobe Reader before I uninstall this.
"...the public dissolves as fact and fiction blend, history becomes derealized by media into a happening, science takes its own models as the only accessible reality, cybernetics confronts us with the enigma of artificial intelligence, and technologies project our perceptions to the edge of the receding universe or into the ghostly interstices of matter." - Hassan, Ihab: "Toward a Concept of Postmodernism" (1987).

Armand
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Armand » Mon Oct 29, 2007 22:11

A good while ago I finally got pissed at Acrobat and wiped the floor with it, and got Foxit instead. It was alright, however after some time it started to be a real problem that it couldn't open all PDFs. Kind of misses the point when easily a third of them were not viewable. Finally I assed myself to reinstall Acrobat, and wuala! All PDFs worked. Ever since I've used Acrobat, even though it still is a pain in the extreme lower back specially when used inside the browser. Maybe one day I will gather enough ork to try out that Samba thing. Or whatever Sumatra wtf

Enok
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Enok » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:57

I have a solution for you: KPDF.

P.S. Linux only :D

P.P.S. Sorry I couldn't resist :(

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Sat Nov 03, 2007 13:23

It looks great, are you using it yourself?

Enok
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Enok » Sat Nov 03, 2007 13:44

It looks great, are you using it yourself?

Yea, maybe one of the reasons I switched to Kubuntu was to bring this baby home. It is superior when compared to Gnome's Evince.

Return to “Geek Juice”