Tech topics & all that sweet sweet jazz

Moderator: nobile

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

SD Darknet

Postby Mortis » Fri Oct 26, 2007 18:33

This has been a long time coming...

Would you guys be interested in forming a darknet? It's clear that it would benefit us all to have for ourselves an unified connection method for sharing files privately.

The application should be as easy as possible to use, fast and non-intrusive. Therefore I suggest the following alternatives for us:

• Allpeers, a Firefox plugin
  • Wuala, a strange very strange program currently in alpha

The bonus side to both these applications is that they are cross-platform programs - Allpeers supports all three major platforms through Firefox and Wuala will soon have a Linux package as well as OSX and Windows.
"...the public dissolves as fact and fiction blend, history becomes derealized by media into a happening, science takes its own models as the only accessible reality, cybernetics confronts us with the enigma of artificial intelligence, and technologies project our perceptions to the edge of the receding universe or into the ghostly interstices of matter." - Hassan, Ihab: "Toward a Concept of Postmodernism" (1987).

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Re: SD Darknet

Postby Mortis » Fri Oct 26, 2007 19:57

Okay, I'm currently running Wuala; I'm not sure if it's of any considerable use yet but I do enjoy the interface and it seems fast enough. Check it out!

Here's a link that will take you directly to the download section: http://p2p-blog.wua.la/ and use "p2p-blog" for the invite code. If those invite codes have run out, then just ask me or Ripatius for an invite.
"...the public dissolves as fact and fiction blend, history becomes derealized by media into a happening, science takes its own models as the only accessible reality, cybernetics confronts us with the enigma of artificial intelligence, and technologies project our perceptions to the edge of the receding universe or into the ghostly interstices of matter." - Hassan, Ihab: "Toward a Concept of Postmodernism" (1987).

nobile
Kakaist
Kakaist
MySpace: www.myspace.com/nobile01

Postby nobile » Fri Oct 26, 2007 21:45

seems quite interesting!
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder <3

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Fri Oct 26, 2007 21:59

We also tried Allpeers with Smeagol but it seems quite limited in its scope. Naturally we've also been talking something like a DC hub and so on, but basically the matter of the fact is the network should be as easy and snazzy to use as possible so that everyone could and would join in.

Smeagol
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Smeagol » Sat Oct 27, 2007 13:30

And be secure :)

Simple and secure is the recipe
He's not heavy, he's my brother.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Sat Oct 27, 2007 14:25

Yeah :D I think we had quite a good experience with Wuala last night when I "helped" "Armand" "out" with a "set" of "files".

Wink wink, nudge nudge.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Sun Oct 28, 2007 02:42

Here's an interesting blog post on Wuala: http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2007-10 ... rance.html

It deals with the program's actual privacy... there's a follow-up to it at the bottom. To me it feels like this guy doesn't mind the fact that the files are being split into 500 parts - what would you do even if you had to yourself 50 of those? Surely not all of them are being sent to the same peer! I don't see how there could possibly be a privacy issue in that respect.

Here's another mapping out how the service works: http://www.centernetworks.com/interview ... -grolimund

And finally 1000 invites to Wuala in case the P2P-Blog ones run out: http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/10/24/10 ... app-wuala/

Let's get it on! Even if you don't plan on using the program I do recommend making an user now so you get the username you want.

Smeagol
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Smeagol » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44

GRr hate those user guidelines. Be a pirate and be proud!
He's not heavy, he's my brother.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Sun Oct 28, 2007 13:04

Hahah, I think the user guideline is really cute in this particular case :D It's a darknet service and they're all "LA LA LA I can't see what you're sharing LA LA LA" xD

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Tue Nov 20, 2007 00:02

Here is a video that details the inner workings of Wuala.

Also, right now you receive 1gb extra storage per every friend you invite.

Return to “Geek Juice”