Rip and encode a dvd

Tech topics & all that sweet sweet jazz

Moderator: nobile

Smeagol
Kakaist
Kakaist

Rip and encode a dvd

Postby Smeagol » Sat Oct 20, 2007 15:09

Does anyone know a single program that can rip a dvd, preferably episodes, and encode it with xvid ? I hate to use 100 programs to do this...
He's not heavy, he's my brother.

Smeagol
Kakaist
Kakaist

Re: Rip and encode a dvd

Postby Smeagol » Sat Oct 20, 2007 15:19

Trying Handbrake atm, ill see if it does the shit properly :)

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Sat Oct 20, 2007 16:29

Very interesting! I just tried encoding an existing rip of the movie Orlando with Staxrip - it's really quite nice in that it has an extensive help system - one that actually downloads necessary utilities and codecs for you.

The interface seems intuitive enough, if a bit long-winded even after you have it set up. Having an existing rip, however, is a prerequisite, but again there are many tools suited for that step... but I understand you would enjoy a program that does everything from ripping to encoding?

Some observations regarding my DVD-rip done with Staxrip: It took something like 8 hours, I forgot about subtitles, the audio was out of sync and I forgot to remove the DVD menus from the rip. Picture quality was crisp as hell with x264 but extremely laggy and I was unable to watch it with WMP.

Not exactly what I asked for :D
"...the public dissolves as fact and fiction blend, history becomes derealized by media into a happening, science takes its own models as the only accessible reality, cybernetics confronts us with the enigma of artificial intelligence, and technologies project our perceptions to the edge of the receding universe or into the ghostly interstices of matter." - Hassan, Ihab: "Toward a Concept of Postmodernism" (1987).

Smeagol
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Smeagol » Tue Oct 23, 2007 19:44

I'll just say that Handbreak is a nice and simple tool that most likely has super much under the hood if you care to look. I try to use presets with a few tweaks (encoder and so on) and it works good. Pretty fast too i think

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Tue Oct 23, 2007 22:38

Speed is a key issue for anyone who does a lot of ripping/encoding, and even if you're not going to do that much in practice I still think speed should be something to aspire to program-wise. I'll have to have a look at the program asap :)
"...the public dissolves as fact and fiction blend, history becomes derealized by media into a happening, science takes its own models as the only accessible reality, cybernetics confronts us with the enigma of artificial intelligence, and technologies project our perceptions to the edge of the receding universe or into the ghostly interstices of matter." - Hassan, Ihab: "Toward a Concept of Postmodernism" (1987).

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Sat Aug 09, 2008 22:39

For subtitle-related functionality (converting from one format to another, for instance, or fixing a timing issue), Subtitle Workshop is the best I've used.

Return to “Geek Juice”