Recommend software

Tech topics & all that sweet sweet jazz

Moderator: nobile

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Re: Recommend software

Postby Mortis » Mon Dec 01, 2008 02:20

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rbtray/ for adding "minimize to tray" and "always on top" to everything in XP.
"...the public dissolves as fact and fiction blend, history becomes derealized by media into a happening, science takes its own models as the only accessible reality, cybernetics confronts us with the enigma of artificial intelligence, and technologies project our perceptions to the edge of the receding universe or into the ghostly interstices of matter." - Hassan, Ihab: "Toward a Concept of Postmodernism" (1987).

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Re: Recommend software

Postby Mortis » Wed Dec 17, 2008 20:48

Google Chrome poses, in my view, some issues related to privacy and security. For one, Google assigns an unique ID to each Chrome installation for identification. You can certainly bypass this by using UnChrome, but the real issue at hand nevertheless remains. On default settings, Chrome also sends your browsing history over to Google for statistical purposes. The most ridiculous thing happened when I installed the most recent version of the program: Windows' irritating DEP (Data Execution Prevention) service killed Chrome while it was importing my Firefox settings! How's that even possible?

I was also disappointed to find a "GoogleUpdate.exe" service running in the background after the installation. Looking at it like that, installing SRWare's Iron browser seems like the best idea if you want to take advantage of Chrome: Not only does it improve on Chrome's lacking security and privacy, but it also comes in portable form!

As far as I see it, there's really no reason not to use Iron if you're already doing some of your browsing with Chrome! I've seen an ubiquitous phrase online lately that goes like this: "I for one welcome our new Google overlords".

Kids, remember, an overlord is an overlord no matter what! ;)
"...the public dissolves as fact and fiction blend, history becomes derealized by media into a happening, science takes its own models as the only accessible reality, cybernetics confronts us with the enigma of artificial intelligence, and technologies project our perceptions to the edge of the receding universe or into the ghostly interstices of matter." - Hassan, Ihab: "Toward a Concept of Postmodernism" (1987).

Return to “Geek Juice”