Torrenting: BitComet & DHT

Tech topics & all that sweet sweet jazz

Moderator: nobile

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Torrenting: BitComet & DHT

Postby Mortis » Mon Dec 26, 2005 19:35

I'm really, really disappointed in torrent tracker owners being prejudiced towards the DHT system introduced in the latest versions of the BitComet (www.bitcomet.com) torrent program. It has, by far, the most intuitive user interface and the best features among all of the torrent programs I have tried this far.

However, as of lately, people have been bickering how the DHT network unfairly affects the way people's upload/download ratios are reported, and most importantly, allows people to download files from so-called private trackers.

The alternative that is purported now is µTorrent (www.utorrent.com) which is the inferior product. I'm not pleased, naturally, being an avid fan of BitComet.

I'm also very tired of people rambling about the ratios - there have been countless experiences I've had where the DHT network has been the only way to download a rare file.

What about you guys? What torrent programs are you using now? Smile

niniel

Postby niniel » Mon Dec 26, 2005 20:51

bitcomet Cool

Smeagol
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Smeagol » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:22

BitComet and Tomato
He's not heavy, he's my brother.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Wed Jan 25, 2006 14:35

I'm yet to update, hihi. I wonder if any torrent sites have lifted their BitComet bans? Smile

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:27

What's with this?

BitLord,
BitSpirit and
BitComet are the best torrent programs I've met and they are usually all banned because of their features. They're too good for their own good.

Damn nerds.
Last edited by Mortis on Sat Feb 11, 2006 15:10, edited 2 times in total.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:52

http://torrentfreak.com/?p=120

Bram cohen, the creator of the Bittorrent protocol is planning to sue anyone misusing the BitTorrent name, and trademark.

vrap
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby vrap » Sun Mar 05, 2006 23:49

Can anyone please explain what exactly this DHT system is and how BitComet is different from other clients? I've been using it for ages and I never really looked into possible alternatives - are trackers really banning people using that client?
i'm having the most perfect hallucination

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Mon Mar 06, 2006 18:13

DHT is for "Distributed Hash Table", which is a way of routing torrent hash data around nodes (essentially users of programs supporting the system) connected to the DHT network. The data is spread in small chunks.

The effect is that you don't need to connect to a tracker to get information of seeds and peers on a particular torrent, as you also get the information directly from users in the DHT network.

The reason BitComet has been banned in certain trackers is because there was a bug/feature that allowed users of BitComet to download torrents from private/protected trackers by acquiring the seed/peer information from the DHT network data. You were essentially able to bypass registration. Simple as that Smile

In the newest version this has, however, been "fixed".

Return to “Geek Juice”