Come Transcribe (Again)

Music, movies, poetry, writing, critical analysis.
Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Come Transcribe (Again)

Postby Mortis » Mon Sep 10, 2007 02:52

Hey guys, you've all seen this before; This time around I'm trying to nail a Nine Horses song called "The Birds Sing for Their Lives", sung by none other than the one and only "slur-and-whisper-as-much-as-you-can" Stina Nordenstam. While her vocal stylings are endearing and I quite like her solo work, I really have no idea what is going on here. The song itself is majestic and moody, but I'm having a really hard time figuring out some key words.

I don't want to guide your interpretation (this can happen very, very easily) so instead of including my full transcription, I will only include the lines that I believe are surely correct so far so you can copy what is already there for easier listening - you can concentrate entirely on the difficult bits. The sequences with lyrics are to be found between 0:48-1:32 and 6:16-6:57 and contain the same elements apart from the last line which is not doubled.

I had two weeks of silence
???
???
So I got up and got dressed

???
The birds sing for their lives

???
I'm sure I'll be all right

As usual, you can download the song here or go to the Player.

vrap
Kakaist
Kakaist

Re: Come Transcribe (Again)

Postby vrap » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:48

Great song. Don't have a clue what she's singing though.
i'm having the most perfect hallucination

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Mon Sep 10, 2007 13:25

Yeah isn't it! I was quite surprised by the scale and magnitude of the progression in the song structure - I mean, I'd listened to this song several times before, but only when I attempted to transcribe the lyrics did I actually pay attention to how much there is going on in the song.

I could actually upload something from Nordenstam's solo albums; maybe a track with decipherable lyrics xd

Anybody else have a go? I don't think there's anything I can do in terms of slowing the song down this time as I'm thinking it's more a matter of coming to a realization with the "correct" (or rather logical) context of the words in their sentences. I'm not connecting yet... and often when you hear one thing at first you'll also continue hearing that one thing, all fixated.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Mon Sep 10, 2007 18:46

I had two weeks of silence
From the voice in my head
And not a word of guidance
So I got up and got dressed

The flowers are on steroids
The birds sing for their lives

I met someone tonight but