Page 1 of 1

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Demo Released

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 15:46
by Mortis

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 00:32
by Mortis
Positively surprised by the quality of this demo! I had my expectations set fairly low, as the preview videos didn't really look all that good to me.

Heck, they even upgraded their introduction logo video and there's a chance I was responsible for that - I sent the studio a fairly long feedback form with "constructive criticism" and the logo is now layed out just like I suggested.

Who knows?

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 08:17
by nobile
Heh cool Very Happy

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:21
by Smeagol
1.36GB OF DEMO?!?!?! Holy Fricken Cow!
I rather wait for the whole thing to come out and test it then

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:56
by Mortis
Haha, aww! I forgot to mention how big it actually was. Yes, it's big, but on the other hand you'll be seeing your games bigger and bigger in size anyway. Dark Messiah just happens to have the "unfair" (or fair?) disadvantage of being one of the 1st bigger-than 1gb demos.

I spent a full day downloading it myself, and I wasn't really even all that interested.

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 01:56
by Mortis
I found the Dark Messiah Collector's Edition for an agreeable price tag and decided to buy it, I've been wanting to play a Source game for a good while now and I liked the demo a lot. I haven't played the game yet, but:

1) The installer pops up in French. Merci beaucoup!
2) The game wants to install itself in My Documents & Setting's Application Data folder (what were they thinking?), and finally even after you change it, the installer gets to decide the final folder name for you.
3) The installer makes start menu shortcuts without asking, but they do not contain a shortcut for uninstallation.
4) The installer wants to install Steam even if you have it already, and is additionally required for multiplayer.

5) The Steam implementation does not work well. Based on my experiences, I actually think they should have kept the game strictly on Steam:

At first, I installed the game, then used Steam to register the game, and as it started loading them I uninstalled the standalone version. Then I found a supposed fix for having to download the game off Steam and thus reinstalled the standalone version for importing. Surprise surprise, no effect!

Here I am now, downloading half a game I just bought on DVD. Not to sound whiny, but it makes no sense at all!

Update: After a night's update at 50kb/s, it's now up to 92%. If I was in a hurry to play this game... Very Happy

Update 2: I can also add that when I uninstalled the "standalone" version after the downloads for Steam were ready, it removed the multiplayer component from Steam as well, so I'm redownloading that too.

Update 3: I rebooted and the 20% I had amassed of the multiplayer during the day was deleted again. Single player works great in maximum detail though!