Story/-line Elements

General gaming talk, help & bug fixes
Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Story/-line Elements

Postby Mortis » Sat May 28, 2005 20:34

Ok.

People have found a way of using a certain kind of species as implants to enhance their normal qualities over normal human levels.

Not everybody approves, though, most people consider this implanting sacrilege - there are religious cults that are pro- and anti-implant, the goverment is officially anti- but secretly runs tests with them...

The player can therefore choose to use implants as well... at first the interaction between the human body and the implant is not positive, but as the game goes you can switch implants and they upgrade as you do your thang and so on...

I don't know how this should be explained... does the implant wedge itself into the system and enhance the amount of blood cells or enhances the lungs or whatever, we can think of something...

But the basic idea is that there is a tradeoff like with drugs... in a way, you have no idea what the implant might do... it might turn against you or use you...

And that is where I think... I have been thinking of having a spiritual part to the game, I'm entertained by the idea of not mental instability (which we decided to avoid and with reason) but sequences in which the implant opens up the player character to visions and spirits he would not be able to perceive otherwise.

There is also a childhood episode I thought of where the main character is introduced as a child... but this time it's not a "village-mother-father destroyed by dragons" episode but a sequence where we are basically shown how the world changes and the player feels insecure about the changes in the society and then you have a better idea of who you are playing.

I'm not sure but I was thinking the player character be an investigator or detective type of a person who gets into the line in his/her seek of rationality in the world... the player grows more and more weary of his existence until he discovers that a high-esteemed character has suicided and starts delving into that in search of answers...

Basically the character is a sort of a high-standing officer in a pseudo-fantasy goverment... I'm still thinking this is more of a fantasy thing than anything else. It has a nice ring to it.

nobile
Kakaist
Kakaist
MySpace: www.myspace.com/nobile01

Postby nobile » Sat May 28, 2005 22:32

Memento! =P
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder <3

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Sun May 29, 2005 01:15

I see it sounds silly to you, perhaps the word "implant" does it... but think of a race or a certain kind of symbiosis rather... think of it more towards the summon spirits
Only now it is even more integral for a player
Think of a nano chip
Only it is a living thing
You gotta have a tradeoff that goes with the story... when I mentioned negative sides I should've emphasised that after writing it I felt it was more of a storytelling element, though it may be hard to incorporate any of that
It would be fun if you could equip players with different types of course
it is more of a vehicle for generating a ripple in the society so that the player can genuinely see there are different sides to things... just combining that aspect of it to actually having a function
Not just a McGuffin like these storytelling vehicles are, something a bit more concrete, the player's like interacting with what is currently dividing the society
Not only interacting but using for his own ends and seeing other people use them for their own ends
Perhaps this race humans are using to their own ends will lead the main character and use him for their own ends as well

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Sun May 29, 2005 01:17

As for the whole setting and look, I do imagine this to work still in a fantasy environment. That's just the easiest thing to do atm. We can have steam guns and cruddy machinery and all that, but it is best to keep to grassy fields because that's something we can actually draw.

Return to “Slowdown.vg”