Titles, name-suffixes

Irasshaimase! いらっしゃいませ
Smeagol
Kakaist
Kakaist

Titles, name-suffixes

Postby Smeagol » Thu Jan 12, 2006 19:42

Ok, as many of you know there are many suffixes you can place after someone's name to pay someone respect or simply declare that you are of higher powers Razz

I'll try as best as i can from my mind, and will look up them some more afterwards to see that i say the right things.

Also.. if im missing something do tell me... i don't know them all that's for sure

-san <-> Most similiar to Mr and Mrs/Miss
-chan <--> A suffix you use when talking to a younger person or a childhood friend. Mainly for girls i suppose.
-kun <--> This is more like equal in ranks, something you'd use for a classmate or someone you work with
-sama <--> Something you say to your beloved one, or king (upper person), or master
-dono <--> I think this title is a bit older, used for generals and upper people who are not -sama:s Very Happy
-senpai <--> For people older than you that you want to pay your respects to (can be used without a name too).
-sensei <--> Teachers, simply enough, and such people (can be used without a name too).

Hm, Robert runs with a lighter, gotta check that
Last edited by Smeagol on Fri Jan 13, 2006 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
He's not heavy, he's my brother.

Smeagol
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Smeagol » Fri Jan 13, 2006 19:14

Haha, interesting, forgot the most basic one Very Happy

-san <-> Most similiar to Mr and Mrs/Miss

Now it's not simply these titles you can apply however you want (or dare), you have to choose how you want to use their names. Using the firstname could be a bit bold. When you first meet someone i've noticed that they use the full name. E.g. Gidmark Mikael-san, and then become Gidmark-san, and perhaps when they know me better, or i tell them to use it, Mikael-san. To simply say Mikael would mean you have to know me very well, but i do think parents simply use their kids first name when adressing them (except the babies/little ones who get the -chan title)
He's not heavy, he's my brother.

Return to “Nihon-go no class. 日本語のクラス。”