Men Dominate! ... Poll

Philosophy, religion, social sciences, politics and exegesis und so weiter.

How do you choose your books?

I'm male and I don't think author gender has an effect on what I read
71%
I'm female and I don't think author gender has an effect on what I read
No votes
I'm male and I prefer male authors
No votes
I'm female and I prefer male authors
No votes
I'm male and I prefer female authors
No votes
I'm female and I prefer female authors
No votes
What does any of this have to do with reading or writing literature?
29%

Total votes: 7

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Men Dominate! ... Poll

Postby Mortis » Tue Apr 17, 2007 18:39

Hey! Hopefully you came to this thread after reading the related blog article. Simply said, I'm asking how you think you feel about gender and authorship.

If you think the questions are too straight-forwarded, we could make a more advanced poll later with suggested questions!

Armand
Kakaist
Kakaist

Re: Men Dominate! ... Poll

Postby Armand » Tue Apr 17, 2007 20:27

I decided to pick the first choice because for whatever reason, I haven't really read that much stuff written by females. One can wonder which is more to blame: females not being interested in writing stuff that I'd be interested in, females being discriminated against so none of their stuff reaches me, or females simply being unable to write good enough stuff. Or stuff. Who knows? There's only two books that I distinctly remember that were written by females, one of those stone-age books by Untinen-Auel, and the other being that gay troll book that won the Finlandia prize some years ago. Both had certain features that would never happen in books written by males (except perhaps by faggots, but that doesn't rly count does it Toxicated ). Oh, and in fact a third comes to mind, this wiccan dreambook about King Arthur and his Horny Knights. All the three books had some really, like, really emo stuff. Emo in the way that it was simply annoying. For example, the book I'm reading atm, written by a male, has endless though-monologues that are somewhat emo... but, dude, there's this difference that I can't put my finger on. The female emoness is simply whining that doesn't lead anywhere (other than husbands going to war simply seeking the release that is death, no matter how violent it would be) and the whiners seem to lack any will of doing anything about it. Whereas the male emo is about real things, and it doesn't make them go all emo about it, it's just in their thoughts. Also, they end up solving the thing somehow. Oh and while writing I figured out what the difference of annoyance rly was! Out of the three female whiners (well, one of them was male but he was gay and if there had been no mentions of his looks or name, the reader would've considered him a her definitely) only one actually tried to do something about it, but even her did it like the two others - blaming everyone else, mostly simple, physically impressive men, or Evil Bitches.

I will now press "Submit" before I delete this brainfart. I'd be sorry for it, but Paulo Coelho says to never look back Tongue

Nickelplate
Kakaist
Kakaist

Re: Men Dominate! ... Poll

Postby Nickelplate » Sun Sep 07, 2008 05:15

I happen to LOVE Judy Bloom as an author.

Anyway, I love books no matter who they are by.

Don't judge a book by its cover/author/title.

Return to “Deep Thr... ought”