Disillusion

Philosophy, religion, social sciences, politics and exegesis und so weiter.
Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Disillusion

Postby Mortis » Wed Nov 02, 2005 13:25

"...if you can’t do the things that you want, then you’re not doing anything and you may very well disappear from the world entirely" - Marilyn Manson

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Fri Nov 18, 2005 15:21

Pretension! I am so sick and tired of pretentious, pompous, overbearing, self-admiring crap!

A good dictionary does not make a good writer! I hereby denounce I shan't read one more angsty poem about resuscitating one's previously ephemeral, fleeting spiritual advocation with an oh-so-fucking clever analogic syllogism or I shall die a painful mental death!

I understand if someone takes a faux pas in their blooming angsty youth and write crappy rubbish, but in this age of BBSBSBBQ we all get to read it! I quit! Very Happy

Smeagol
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Smeagol » Fri Nov 18, 2005 19:23

I think i am the best, i can't think of anyone better than me...
Rolling Eyes
He's not heavy, he's my brother.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Wed Nov 23, 2005 14:18

I've meant to type this a thousand times now, but... the difference between you and the rest is that you don't pretend to be crafting something noteworthy.

While I am perhaps qualified to throw an educated guess about how much time you generally put into writing poetry in your free time, but in case you do and it's bad, at least it isn't polluting our eyes. Höhö.

Armand
Kakaist
Kakaist

Re: Disillusion

Postby Armand » Tue Feb 06, 2007 23:20

Hmm, Mortis, did you take the "can" in quote as in "know how to" instead of "be able to"? Not that there's much difference between the two. I mean, I thought of the line as poking at fear, not ability or skill. However your interpretation, if I got it right, is equally viable!

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Re: Disillusion

Postby Mortis » Wed Feb 07, 2007 00:22

Back when I posted the quote, I definitely took it as "be able to", in relation to one's calling or inclination, so to speak.

In other words, if you're not finding ways of expressing yourself the way you think you should (as confusing as that sounds, I really do think that's what self-expression principally is and you learn to take it for granted in good and bad), your value for the society is diminished greatly compared to what you feel it could be, and thus your current contribution is rendered redundant.

Strangely enough, the quote ties in very heavily with the concept of modern human value. It also does seem to presuppose that you (=everyone) have already found out (or someone has told you!) what you want to do. I don't think ability, or like they put it, "talent" really has much to do with it, other than if it's seriously limiting your chances of being able to express yourself...

Return to “Deep Thr... ought”