Mental Note

General adventure discussion for the Angel and the Ape -comic adventure game, made with AGS!

Moderators: DarkEmissary, Ripatius

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Mental Note

Postby Mortis » Sat Sep 09, 2006 14:53

May I just note that with games, you don't have relate to characters, what you need to be able to do is assess the situation and identify their needs and drives.

This is something that most players seem to be unable to realize.

Armand
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Armand » Sat Sep 09, 2006 15:12

Hmm, care to elaborate? How much is there difference between relating to characters, and what you instead described?

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Sat Sep 09, 2006 22:48

I admit the difference is rather semantic (dog forbid): What I'm essentially talking about is perhaps best highlighted with an example, and the note here was actually spurn by a real instance! So here it is:
Being a female gamer myself, I know how well I can relate to a 22-year-old upper-middle-class, upwardly mobile, male university student with slimy hair, who happens to think he’s a sexy beast deserving of attentions from blond, bouncy-breasted women.

What the writer has tried to illustrate here is that she does not know how to pretend to be a character of this sort, but she's clearly lying! Instead she comes off as not wanting to try and "suffer the consequences", perhaps.

After all, she can clearly (with ease, even) position herself and see what motivates this particular character (tits!) as well as define him as a person! Thus what I mean is that in order for something to be enjoyable or work in a game, you don't need to "relate" to a character in a philosophical sense.

Actually, you brought up a very good point: If we didn't have this kind of semantic baggage on the word "relate", it would be perfect for describing this particular situation.

Armand
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Armand » Wed Nov 15, 2006 17:29

How the hell is that possible?! GRRR!

vrap
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby vrap » Thu Nov 16, 2006 20:12

How is it possible? It works!

.... not that I've tried it .....
i'm having the most perfect hallucination