Site backdrop/framework-related discussion & hosted site support

Moderator: Smeagol

nobile
Kakaist
Kakaist
MySpace: www.myspace.com/nobile01

Kakaradio

Postby nobile » Sat Jul 07, 2007 09:02

I was thinking about streaming radio today, I know many of us are playing music most of the time, and lucky for us, we have different timezones, mostly. We could perhaps schedule one or two hours for each one of us to stream our music and make a 24-hour radio...
I remember chente one time linked me to a free radio where you could stream your music, you'd just have to schedule previously at what time could you do it, guess we could do something like that...
We have really varied music tastes, and I'm pretty sure we'd all like to hear what the others play (or at least I do :lol: ) and maybe we could put some kind of request box, where people listening can list the songs they liked the most and we could upload them on sd...
Just some ideas I got in mind, what do you guys think?
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder <3

Jackeh
Kakaist
Kakaist

Re: Kakaradio

Postby Jackeh » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:39

id hit it! id love to listen to everyones music :D

theres a program around thatl play and stream the music; but also put together a page with a list of all your music on, upload it to any ftp you want so people can go onto teh web and request songs, the program will recognise and automaticaly put it in the play queue. Aswell as doing all the usual stuff like song fading, playing only certain types of music from the playlist, automaticaly insterting any adverts you want.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Sat Jul 07, 2007 18:48

It's a very good idea and one that I've personally thought about every now and then - I've even once or twice considered recording self-narrated radio "episodes" if you will, about music history and bands and shit like that. I know, it sounds insane but music is everything :D

I'm unsure, however, what would be the best way to approach this. Jackeh, do you know any tools to suggest? I recently bumped to FLAM Player (http://flamplayer.com/flam_player/flam_ ... wnload.htm) but of course it would be good to provide an actual stream for people to listen to.

Also, we've got an urgent lack of web space right now. It costs a notch more per month to upgrade the server space - if we had more actual SD space we could definitely do this in a way where people upload their mp3s to create own shows and we could then schedule them et cetera.

I'm happy someone else thought about this too! It's definitely been bugging me personally.

Jackeh
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Jackeh » Sat Jul 07, 2007 20:21

well good old shoutcast uses very little bandwith for what you get it also needs very little computer power so someone with an old computer lieing around could host it at home i their willing to leave it running, ive played with it before and its nice and easy to setup. doing it that way could also mean that an ftp of some sorts could be setup to dump things on the computer to share with people.
Of course if you go through the streaming route, you have to be careful to make sure it isnt hosted in the US because of their new license fees for online streaming.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Sat Jul 07, 2007 20:30

Yea our fees are similarly anal here in Finland... the way Slowdays is currently run is "break law first and answer questions later" and the correct answer to all questions is "I have never downloaded anything from the internets ever" ...

Anyway! We do need some kind of collaborative platform where we could arrange the shows together so that every "host", so to speak, would be able to arrange his or her own show.

This sounds like such a good idea as long as we put some time into it :)

Jackeh
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Jackeh » Sat Jul 07, 2007 20:35

over the years theres been a million billion diferent tools around, such as automation ones, where if nobodys connected to the server to stream itl just play songs from its own playlist which means itl always be in play.

that program i mentioned earlier, i found it again, its called SAM broadcaster.unfortunatly its almightely expensive. but theres loads of programs out there that could make it easy

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Tue Jul 10, 2007 14:38

We've taken our first step towards this grand entertainment venture - Smeagol and I looked at some media players and he settled on a nice player that can now be accessed at http://www.slowdays.org/player/

I just thought it'd make sense to be able to play the files you guys upload a little easier :)

Return to “Slowdev”