Slowdays Fastnews Service?

Site backdrop/framework-related discussion & hosted site support

Moderator: Smeagol

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Slowdays Fastnews Service?

Postby Mortis » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:07

I've been thinking how to best utilize the links and web pages we browse together... we've got the fantastic links system & shoutbox already, but how to push that one notch forward?

In comes the Fastnews system (phpBB news?) through we could all post front page news/links that Neekeri would shortly report in the irc channel.

This of course requires a small amount of user initiative, but I've been thinking about our areas of expertise, and we could easily split some of the work into categories (Smeagol: Apple, Ripatius: Nintendo, Me: Music) and we should ensure that the newsposting is as effortless as possible.

I mean... compared to pasting an interesting link, how long does it take to post a short blurt plus the link as news? Barely anything! That's the rationale behind this idea.

Comments? Ideas? Smile

Smeagol
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Smeagol » Thu Jun 29, 2006 21:33

Sounds interesting Smile Im in!
He's not heavy, he's my brother.

nobile
Kakaist
Kakaist
MySpace: www.myspace.com/nobile01

Re: Slowdays Fastnews Service?

Postby nobile » Thu Jun 29, 2006 22:07

Mortis wrote:This of course requires a small amount of user initiative, but I've been thinking about our areas of expertise, and we could easily split some of the work into categories (Smeagol: Apple, Ripatius: Nintendo, Me: Music) and we should ensure that the newsposting is as effortless as possible.

nobile: nonsenseness
Laughing
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder <3

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Thu Jun 29, 2006 22:41

Yeah Very Happy I know we all have our favourite sites we visit, so it isn't a biggie Smile

Armand
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Armand » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:57

Sounds mastonishing! Idea

Smeagol
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Smeagol » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:07

Fast news makes me think about RSS feeds, we need to be able to import news items from rss feeds, i wonder what would be the best way.

My thoughts head towards AJAX, like automatic field fill. Input url to news item and id and import the contents into the fields for editing or just posting. Or perhaps it is possible to just link it to our system and show it, not sure if that is that good but.

Mortis
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Mortis » Thu Sep 28, 2006 16:06

Today I thought of looking at suitable blog implementations (possibly with phpBB integration) but couldn't really find one to my liking...

So what are the things that I'm looking at?

• Front page list of news
  • Support for full links & headers
  • Trackback and/or pingback
  • phpbb comments integration?
  • Possible digging?
  • RSS feed
  • Categories and/or link words (topics that are dealt with) a lá myspace?

This is a very rudimentary shoot list and I haven't really considered any of the features properly yet...

But basically the thing with sd is that some of the users need be assigned the right to post news, a group of users, so adding a full blog system and then attempting to integrate could be very difficult.

A lot of these features seem to be included in WordPress, though, and it seems to be very formidable and popular, but the thing is that I get awfully negative vibes from their homepage which feels abundant with disinformation. Perhaps I should tinker with an installation to see if my hunch is right.

I think there's even some rudimentary integration with phpbb available for the aforementioned software.

More on this when I get something installed or so ^_^ I'll update this post when I clarify anything.

Smeagol
Kakaist
Kakaist

Postby Smeagol » Fri Sep 29, 2006 19:44

Wordpress is very known yea, haven't read shit about it though xD

i've looked for a digg implementation myself, but didn't find anything when i did my brief search. What i did find was that you had to go to digg.com and register the link and shit, i wanted that done automaticly

Return to “Slowdev”